Views From Cabarete

Monday, May 21, 2007

I Thought I Was Cured

Apparently not. Back in 2005 I decided it would be a good idea to run a marathon. In October of that year, I did indeed pull it off and finished all 26+ miles of the Portland Marathon. Afterwards, I said to myself, "self, we're never going to do that I again. I must´ve been insane when I decided to do it." At some point down here, I guess I lost my mind again and thought maybe another marathon would be a good time.

I had a specific marathon in mind and I started my training program in March (I´d been running pretty consistently since January, but not following any kind of plan). I was kind of taking a wait and see approach at this point, however, as I didn´t actually sign up for the marathon. That way, I could back out if things weren´t going all that well. As it turned out, I stuck with the training pretty well and decided recently to actually sign up and put myself at the point of no return. I had been targeting the Seafair Marathon in Bellevue, WA and I am now all signed up and ready to go for the race which is held Sunday, July 8th. If anyone wants to come out and see one of the greatest spectator sports on earth, this is a prime opportunity. But If you have more important things to do, I´ll understand. Later.

6 Comments:

At May 21, 2007 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just checked my calendar and I believe I am open on July 8, to watch, not run. Good for you Johnny. I'm sure you'll hace a blast.

Dad

 
At May 22, 2007 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me!
Mom

 
At May 22, 2007 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 2 excuses for never running 26.2mi:

1. Pheidippides
2. Jim Fixx

 
At May 23, 2007 11:20 AM, Blogger John Harkins said...

Jimmy - I'd say that's very suspect reasoning.

 
At May 23, 2007 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know you'll be home! Maybe I'll do the 1/2...well, maybe I'll just come watch you. we'll see.

Sarah

 
At May 30, 2007 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might be running that as well, I will let you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home